The conference will take place at the Wenner-Gren Center in Stockholm between the 21st and the 23rdof October 2019.
Convenor of the conference is Abdellah Abarkan, Professor and Head of the Department of Spatial Planning at Blekinge Institute of Technology (BTH) in Karlskrona, Sweden. Besides the Bauhaus University Weimar (Germany), the University of Valladolid (Spain) and the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice (Slovakia), BTH is one of the four urbanHIST beneficiaries. The 15 urbanHIST early stage researchers are substantially involved in the organization of this conference.
The 2nd urbanHIST Conference is welcoming abstracts on the main theme: “Interpreting 2othCentury European Urbanism”. As an explicitly interdisciplinary project, the Conference encourage submissions from urbanism, planning, and architectural historians; preservationists; geographers; museum curators; and independent scholars. Abstracts should be related to the following suggested tracks:
- Writing Town Planning Histories
- Dissemination and Mobility of Town Planning Ideas
- History Matters
- Urban Regeneration in European Cities
- Discourses of Consumption in Modern Architecture and City Building
- Cities and the Environment
- Facets of Modernity in Housing Development
- Post-socialist transition: Between Conflicts and Legacy
- Housing beyond State Power
- The impact of Industrialisation on Central and Eastern European Cities
- Nature and the City: (Re-)creating Urban Landscapes
- Rationalised Traffic and Transport as Means for Town Planning